Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chicken Stock

I have wanted to try my hand at homemade chicken stock for quite some time. A few weeks ago I worked up the courage to dig out a few recipes and combine them to come up with one that works for me. My number one complaint about all of the recipes I saw was that they took alot of chicken that ended up being tossed at the end of the simmering process.
Here is my compromise: I purchased 5 lbs of chicken breasts with bone and skin on. I cut the breasts from the bones and took off the skin. The chicken breasts were individually packaged in ziplock baggies and the rest of the pieces placed in a bowl. The next morning I gathered up these ingredients:
 Chicken remains, 2 yellow onions, 4 stalks celery, 4 carrots, 1 head of garlic, dill, thyme, parsley, kosher salt, and pepper corns.
 Slice up your celery and carrots into large chunks, and quarter your onions - skin and all.
Throw the chicken, veggies, herbs(stems and all), and garlic head(simply cut in half widthwise) and cover with water. I actually measured out about 4 qts.  
  Add 1 1/2 teaspoons whole peppercorns and 1 tablespoon salt.
 Bring your liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Simmer for 4 hours.
 I believe I am going to need a larger pot. :)
 The photo on the left is from 2 hours and the photo on the right of at 4 hours, right before I removed it from the heat. At 4 hours remove from the head and pour into a bowl straining out everything but your freshly made chicken stock!
I ended up with 11 cups of homemade chicken stock in my freezer in only 5 hours...
So much richer and flavorful then the store bought cartons!
Just in time for fall soups!

2 comments:

Rocky said...

Made this today, excited about it :) Making the lemon chicken soup later this week.

Rocky said...

That was Suzanne!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...